As a business owner for over half my life, I’ve found myself reinventing, redirecting, learning to roll with the tide and lots of swimming against the current!
I continue to redesign my career in order to create the life I want to live. I’ve NEVER had a business partner or a loan or an investor. What I have had is a dream and I CREATED MY OWN path…. Equipped with the talent and tenacity that God blessed me with. Along the way I’ve had the honor to meet and work with some amazingly talented artists. Most of the artists whose work I’ve sold, have gone on to open their own businesses right here in The ViBe Creative District! THEY HAVEN’T SUCCEEDED BECAUSE OF ME… They’ve succeeded because they have vision and talent… BUT everyone starts somewhere.
PRESENTLY I’m working on the reaching the next level for Chartreuse… OPENING THE CREATIVE LAB (you can find this article at ilovechartreuse.com) and FINDING NEW LOCAL TALENT.
I have a new POP UP opening mid October thru our busy holiday season and have 2 more spots available. I plan to offer POP UP SHOPS for 3 month time slots, year round…. Constantly changing.
I’m LOOKING for:
1. New local artists… Painters, jewelry designers, potters and furniture builders.
2. Artists who want to TEACH in the CREATIVE LAB. I will be teaching the furniture painting classes and I’m looking for others to teach painting. I have an entire list of DIFFERENT classes I want to offer such as fabric dying, mixed media, journal art for teens…. And the list goes on.
3. INTERNS who want fully accredited hours for Social Media, Art, Business, Design, and Graphics.
Please pass this along to anyone you know that might be interested. Please inquire by email to firstname.lastname@example.org THANK YOU!
Remember the daunting task of choosing your first wall color…. in your first house? I do! For me it was one of the most exciting things I’d experienced. I finally had the freedom to do whatever I wanted… in whatever color I wanted…. and no landlord could tell me different. For most, this moment is intimidating. It’s frustrating and it’s nerve racking!
The daring ones who jump right in and throw the first color they fall in love with… on the walls… in GLOSS! Dark GLOSS!!! LOL!!! The ones who love color but choose a LOVELY SHADE OF VANILLA…. because they’re scared to make a mistake! Or the ones like me, who love so much and change our minds like the wind… that by the time they get the room finished… THEY WANT SOMETHING ELSE! 99.9% of us are ONE OF THESE!!!!
Imagine if you had the opportunity to spend a few hours with… not one…. but TWO DESIGNERS…. What would your first house looked like? Or even your last home? What would you have done differently? How much time would you have saved? And how many arguments and dollars would NOT have been wasted?
So back to my article on THE ART OF GIFT GIVING…. item numbered 5….. Do you have someone on your gift list that just recently bought their first home? Someone who is ready to remodel a room? Or maybe someone who is getting ready to have their first child and needs some help? How cool would it be to give them the gift of a couple of experts, who could help them discover their own style, create a plan and a budget?
From November 12th thru December 23rd, 2014….. CHARTREUSE and URBAN DESIGN will be offering a “2-4-1” SPECIAL! That means you can purchase “The Gift of Design” for HALF OFF!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine what a consult with 2 designers could do for someone you love? You can guaranty they won’t throw this gift in a closet or leave it on the curb for a charity.
One consultation can go a long way. It may be that a short visit…. going over colors and style could be what the doctor ordered. It could also be that the person needs a little more. Either way… this is a gift THAT WILL FIT for sure!
You may purchase your “Gift of Design” at our 4th Annual Gift Event on November 12th from 2 to 7pm…. or any day thereafter through December 23rd, 2014.
I’m still trying to hang on to what’s left of this Indian Summer…. So the last thing I want to think of is shopping for Christmas and Chanukah! But I know that I hate to rush and I hate waiting til the last minute…. so it’s definitely time!
Over the last couple of weekends I’ve been renovating my home studio. Along with many others, it’s a project I’ve wanted to do for quite sometime. While making room for change (shifting “stuff” from one spot to another), I became a little frustrated and realized this is why my projects get put off!!! WHERE DID ALL THIS STUFF COME FROM???? I’m OCD and I’m a minimalist… I own a store so I don’t have the need to buy stuff for myself…. GIFTS! Over half of what was taking up space was GIFTS from other people!
I have no problem getting rid of stuff. I’m known for it. Edie Mae (my mama) thinks that I’m missing some gene because of my detachment to things!!! Unfortunately, it sometimes hurts peoples feelings when they find out you aren’t using a gift they bought… or worse… you threw it out! SO…. I HAVE A THEORY and of course A SOLUTION!
IT’S MY UNDERSTANDING that GIFT GIVING is an ART. I’m an ARTIST… so here it goes:
1. DO NOT buy a gift just to buy a gift! BY A GIFT THAT means something to that person. Something they might buy for themselves. Ask yourself a few questions before making the purchase….. Like, will this add value to his or her life or will it possibly be set aside or put on a shelf? Would this person love to have this gift?
2. Be creative in your gift giving! Has this person been in there home for a long period of time? Do they keep things nice and tidy? Do they entertain? …. A bottle of winewith a beautiful hand written note goes a long way! A good candle is also a gift that everyone loves and they will think of you every time they light it!
3. Jewelry and accessories! Who doesn’t appreciate these as a gift? Unless of course it’s tacky and something they would never wear! Be careful and thoughtful when buying a piece of jewelry, scarf, handbag or wallet. Don’t be intimidated…. just think about that person and does it look like their style. Simplicity is classic and never goes out of style! Quality is key here! And it’s another perfect opportunity to keep it local! There are plenty of local artisans that create one of a kind items…. from every price point. Buying an original gift… made local…. not in C#^n@…. says you care enough to take the time and that you support your community!
4. Buying everyone on your list a “giftcard” from one of the big name companies is HORRIBLE! Unless you are ill and have no other way to buy something for someone… it’s LAME!!!! ON THE OTHER HAND….. A gift card from a store you know they shop is a completely different thing! Especially if you’re not sure what they’d like or need. At least taking the time to think about where they might like to go says a lot! If they’re a child…. a toy store! A teen…. clothes! A newly wed…. furniture or art! Just take a few minutes and think about it!
5. Something hand made from you is an awesome gift! It also fits every budget and says you really care! You don’t have to be an artist to make something… And I’m not talking about some crazy wreath with glued on pine cones!!!! I’m also not talking about you learning how to knit a pair of socks… (although if you are good at that, it’s cool)!!!! How about homemade sugar scrub or salt bath? How about homemade lotions or tea? Or maybe even some homemade cookies? Hello? Everyone loves all of these things! They’re pampering, thoughtful and custom!
KEEP IT SIMPLE! LIFE IS SHORT and WE SHOULD LIVE IT BEAUTIFULLY! Stay tuned for more specific gift ideas in all these categories over the next week!
OUR 4th ANNUAL GIFT EVENT IS NOVEMBER 12, from 2 to 7….. WE HAVE SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE THIS YEAR! I promise you won’t be disappointed!!!!!! So EXCITED!!!!!
So, you’ve all heard me talk about all the functions, classes, trunk shows, events, etc. that I plan to host at CHARTREUSE. Well…..I can finally spill the beans….that have been cooking for a few months now!
The first major event will be held on December 15th, 2011. That day we will have several vendors and artists in CHARTREUSE from 10 am to 5 pm.
The list of guests will include Sprout, who will be selling stocking stuffers and children’s gifts….. Forbes Candies, featuring their line of chocolates….. Beach Bucket Bakery, with her famous cookies….. Flour Power Cupcakes, with her beautiful creations …….. These particular artisans have the perfect gift ideas for co-workers, teachers, and those skinny chicks who need to gain a few!
Also there will be a couple of jewelry artists….. with over the top to casual everyday pieces…… a couple of artists who make unique bags, scarfs and other accessories……
THIS IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY FUN! As you girls come by and pick up gifts for others….. pick out a few pieces for YOURSELF…… BECAUSE…… we will be keeping a “LIST” …… and from 6 pm to 9 pm……………….. the doors will be open to MEN ONLY …..who need to buy gifts……gifts that YOU picked out!
So….. send your man and his friends to CHARTREUSE! We will show them the list….. we will serve them a beer and feed them…. they will buy what YOU WANT ….. and we will wrap it! It’s a WIN WIN WIN situation!
It’s gonna be fun and it’s the kickoff of a new tradition at CHARTREUSE! Cindy
If you’re the kind of person who likes the gifts you give to be personal…..here’s a great idea for the holidays, a birthday, or just because you want to show someone you didn’t run out to the mall and grab something!
These signs are hand painted and made to fit the personality of the recipient. They’re original and one of a kind pieces of art made from reclaimed wood and antique frames.
Orders are running at about a 3 week turnaround right now. Please email if you’d like to order today! And thank you, Cindy