We all love getting the perfect gift!
I’m still trying to hang on to what’s left of this Indian Summer…. So the last thing I want to think of is shopping for Christmas and Chanukah! But I know that I hate to rush and I hate waiting til the last minute…. so it’s definitely time!
Over the last couple of weekends I’ve been renovating my home studio. Along with many others, it’s a project I’ve wanted to do for quite sometime. While making room for change (shifting “stuff” from one spot to another), I became a little frustrated and realized this is why my projects get put off!!! WHERE DID ALL THIS STUFF COME FROM???? I’m OCD and I’m a minimalist… I own a store so I don’t have the need to buy stuff for myself…. GIFTS! Over half of what was taking up space was GIFTS from other people!
I have no problem getting rid of stuff. I’m known for it. Edie Mae (my mama) thinks that I’m missing some gene because of my detachment to things!!! Unfortunately, it sometimes hurts peoples feelings when they find out you aren’t using a gift they bought… or worse… you threw it out! SO…. I HAVE A THEORY and of course A SOLUTION!
IT’S MY UNDERSTANDING that GIFT GIVING is an ART. I’m an ARTIST… so here it goes:
1. DO NOT buy a gift just to buy a gift! BY A GIFT THAT means something to that person. Something they might buy for themselves. Ask yourself a few questions before making the purchase….. Like, will this add value to his or her life or will it possibly be set aside or put on a shelf? Would this person love to have this gift?
2. Be creative in your gift giving! Has this person been in there home for a long period of time? Do they keep things nice and tidy? Do they entertain? …. A bottle of wine with a beautiful hand written note goes a long way! A good candle is also a gift that everyone loves and they will think of you every time they light it!
3. Jewelry and accessories! Who doesn’t appreciate these as a gift? Unless of course it’s tacky and something they would never wear! Be careful and thoughtful when buying a piece of jewelry, scarf, handbag or wallet. Don’t be intimidated…. just think about that person and does it look like their style. Simplicity is classic and never goes out of style! Quality is key here! And it’s another perfect opportunity to keep it local! There are plenty of local artisans that create one of a kind items…. from every price point. Buying an original gift… made local…. not in C#^n@…. says you care enough to take the time and that you support your community!
4. Buying everyone on your list a “giftcard” from one of the big name companies is HORRIBLE! Unless you are ill and have no other way to buy something for someone… it’s LAME!!!! ON THE OTHER HAND….. A gift card from a store you know they shop is a completely different thing! Especially if you’re not sure what they’d like or need. At least taking the time to think about where they might like to go says a lot! If they’re a child…. a toy store! A teen…. clothes! A newly wed…. furniture or art! Just take a few minutes and think about it!
5. Something hand made from you is an awesome gift! It also fits every budget and says you really care! You don’t have to be an artist to make something… And I’m not talking about some crazy wreath with glued on pine cones!!!! I’m also not talking about you learning how to knit a pair of socks… (although if you are good at that, it’s cool)!!!! How about homemade sugar scrub or salt bath? How about homemade lotions or tea? Or maybe even some homemade cookies? Hello? Everyone loves all of these things! They’re pampering, thoughtful and custom!
KEEP IT SIMPLE! LIFE IS SHORT and WE SHOULD LIVE IT BEAUTIFULLY! Stay tuned for more specific gift ideas in all these categories over the next week!
OUR 4th ANNUAL GIFT EVENT IS NOVEMBER 12, from 2 to 7….. WE HAVE SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE THIS YEAR! I promise you won’t be disappointed!!!!!! So EXCITED!!!!!